Monday June 15:
- Fascinating introductory talk on weird stuff & psychogeography
- Preliminary “drift” on OWU campus
- drawn to birds, trees (textures), puddles
- repelled by rotting popcorn smell
- repelled by roads, parking lots, trees/woods begin to look like horror movie set
- drawn to mysterious path under RR overpass / repelled by traffic on highway
- drawn to bright colors of stadium field; fence makes desirable
- repelled by wet grass, thought of playing sports
- drawn to gas access pipe covers, “pomegranate on a stick,” short cut grass, signs
- repelled by/drawn to noise of chainsaw
- drawn to colors of Phillips Hall, stairs
- repelled by grass (know to keep off grass)
- drawn by paths (know to stay on paths)
- drawn to face on tree bark
- drawn by curves of Slocum (“curve appeal”), banana pudding color of Eliot
Tuesday June 16:
- goal: an “old campus” psychogeography map by end of week
- continue “drift” around rest of campus (random or based on wall shadow)
- prepare to compile map of “drawn to” “repelled from” a la Paris map
- locations that resonate with multiple attractions / repellants
- annotate with
Wednesday June 17:
Tuesday recap: two drifts (texture + gustatory, smell + sound) & data
Today: probably rainy
- a few more fascinating lecture bits from your instructor
- work on map: size (for OWjL publication?) + content + form of map
- plan for one more set of drifts: two groups switch topics, or… what other weird could we map?
Thursday June 18:
Wednesday recap: general goofing around, some very interesting information imparted by instructor, followed by more general goofing around, and a short maunder around campus, centered on the ever-popular hulk hand.
Today: Krygier got his act together and managed to get a draft of the map done. Comments on the general layout, etc. Map still needs much of the already-collected data and data that will be collected today added. Krygier will do that Thursday eve.
- review map draft: comments and ideas
- blinded smell sound drift group goes out
- need more textures?
- need any other data?
Friday June 19:
Thursday recap: some goofing around but mostly final data collection and twizzlers and starburst and peeps.
Today: review of map for final revisions & print final copy. Post to blog.